The Official English Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
JM2K6

Jeez, Quins could easily lose 3/4 there
sockwithaticket

Going on respective form before the interruption I'd back Wasps for 3 wins. Christ knows what sides will be like after such a protracted break, though.
Raggs

Just slowly realising how insane Bristol's 1st XV is starting to look.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Margin__Walker

Margin__Walker wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:52 am Ha, was going to say. You could write a book on Diamond's denials and subsequent signings

To be fair, cap space is going to be a big issue here for most clubs. It's late in the day for it, especially with a drop in cap approaching for 21/22. So it may end up being overseas or bust.
And the Telegraph seem pretty confident today that he's signing for Sale.

That's a pretty scary midfield they'll have if him and the big Saffer are fit.
Last edited by Margin__Walker on Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raggs

Reminds me of what they had a few seasons ago with those two big PI players. You know what's coming, now try and stop it...
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Margin__Walker

Yep, could be fun. They look pretty dangerous across the park these days. Expect them to be a fixture in the play offs in the short/medium term.
Raggs

Margin__Walker wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:26 pm Yep, could be fun. They look pretty dangerous across the park these days. Expect them to be a fixture in the play offs in the short/medium term.
A lot of big power carrying options.
Margin__Walker

Yep.

Matt Garvey signs for Gloucester until the end of the season.
Un Pilier

Margin__Walker wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:15 pm Yep.

Matt Garvey signs for Gloucester until the end of the season.
Handy squad player - good signing for Glaws I think.
Raggs

So can Sale now put out the biggest backline seen by the prem? Tuilagi, Rensburg, Du Preez, Solomona, James.

Just the midfield alone is a case of you know what's coming, you can't stop it.
Margin__Walker

It's a really nasty midfield to face. Sale always seem beat us easily these days but remember LI being completely unable to handle van Rensburg before Xmas.

Guess teams will have to try and move them around a little
Rhubarb & Custard

Sale are really burning a hold in their CVC monies and it's not easy to see what represents success for them in all this. Bigger picture for my interests would be it's a shame Manu has gone somewhere that might not place an emphasis on improving his skills and decision making
youthleth

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:14 pm Sale are really burning a hold in their CVC monies and it's not easy to see what represents success for them in all this. Bigger picture for my interests would be it's a shame Manu has gone somewhere that might not place an emphasis on improving his skills and decision making
After 30 years at Tigers, surely any change would be better for his skills and decision making?

Do you mean representing success for Sale or for CVC? CVC have just invested in a third of the Top14, based I guess on their now intimate knowledge of top flight rugby. Obvious goal for Sale is another championship and a decent European cup run.
Both of them will benefit from Crossford Bridge if that gets the green light.
Rhubarb & Custard

I've never really noted Diamond as being the man to develop outside backs, there's a lot he does offer on the coaching front, but not that.

And success for Sale over a sustained period, I can see why they might secure some transient success out of this, but then what?
youthleth

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:09 pm I've never really noted Diamond as being the man to develop outside backs, there's a lot he does offer on the coaching front, but not that.

And success for Sale over a sustained period, I can see why they might secure some transient success out of this, but then what?
Crossford bridge. Their own stadium again, back in Sale with actual transport links.

To get bums on seats in Manchester needs a team that's successful.
Raggs

Sale have money backing them now. Not Bath/Bristol money, but still, they're OK.
ASMO

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:09 pm I've never really noted Diamond as being the man to develop outside backs, there's a lot he does offer on the coaching front, but not that.

This is why he has recruited props in the centres
Rhubarb & Custard

youthleth wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:13 pm

To get bums on seats in Manchester needs a team that's successful.
To me it feels like spending too much now to achieve too little in the future, but we shall see. I certainly hope they're right and I'm wrong, and it has worked for Exeter, but it hasn't yet worked for Newcastle, Saracens, Irish in the longer term.
Margin__Walker

LI to play home games at the stoop for the rest of this season (5 games)

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/l ... -the-stoop
Raggs

Wasps announce 15 long term contract extensions. Some are players that extended earlier this year. Lots of key players nailed down. which is great news.
Margin__Walker

Raggs wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:29 am Wasps announce 15 long term contract extensions. Some are players that extended earlier this year. Lots of key players nailed down. which is great news.
Is that everyone sorted then or does it sound like negotiations are ongoing with anyone?
sockwithaticket

Margin__Walker wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:37 am
Raggs wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:29 am Wasps announce 15 long term contract extensions. Some are players that extended earlier this year. Lots of key players nailed down. which is great news.
Is that everyone sorted then or does it sound like negotiations are ongoing with anyone?
Willis and Young signing further extensions to the new deals they penned recently is fantastic.

As for those missing Bassett, Brookes, Feikitoa, Rowlands, Sopoaga and Zhvania strike me as the significant names we haven't heard anything about yet. I'm pretty sure Sops was planning on heading elsewhere when his deal was up. but the lift in our fortunes before lockdown might have given him pause for thought. Rowlands is probably eyeing a move to Wales once his current deal expires now that he's on the international radar.
notfatcat

Raggs wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:07 am So can Sale now put out the biggest backline seen by the prem? Tuilagi, Rensburg, Du Preez, Solomona, James.

Quins could give them a run - Lang, Lasike, Esterhuizen, Earle, Ibitoye.
Chris Jack, 67 test All Black - "I was voted most useless and laziest cunt in the English Premiership two years on the trot"
Rhubarb & Custard

notfatcat wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:40 pm
Raggs wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:07 am So can Sale now put out the biggest backline seen by the prem? Tuilagi, Rensburg, Du Preez, Solomona, James.

Quins could give them a run - Lang, Lasike, Esterhuizen, Earle, Ibitoye.
somehow the two don't look the same
JM2K6

Yeah uh not sure why Lang/Earle/Ibitoye are being used as comparisons. Lasike and Esterhuizen are big lumps though.
notfatcat

I posted the names of 5 players who could conceivably play in the Quins backline together. Add up the collective weights and there won't be much difference, which is why I said Quins could give them a run. It's not rocket science chaps.
Chris Jack, 67 test All Black - "I was voted most useless and laziest cunt in the English Premiership two years on the trot"
Rhubarb & Custard

I meant not the same as in the Quins heavy lads lean more towards merely looking heavy, whereas that possible Sale lineup looks to have power and rather more ability to deliver on that power
notfatcat

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:28 pm I meant not the same as in the Quins heavy lads lean more towards merely looking heavy, whereas that possible Sale lineup looks to have power and rather more ability to deliver on that power
Commonly known as the Jeff the Bear gambit.
Rhubarb & Custard

notfatcat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:07 pm
Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:28 pm I meant not the same as in the Quins heavy lads lean more towards merely looking heavy, whereas that possible Sale lineup looks to have power and rather more ability to deliver on that power
Which is what? and on whose part?
sockwithaticket

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:32 am
There was a time when the England U20s were physically smaller than their Welsh counterparts and JtB went with England lads were smaller, but more powerful than the Welsh kids who were just large.
Raggs

sockwithaticket wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:36 am

There was a time when the England U20s were physically smaller than their Welsh counterparts and JtB went with England lads were smaller, but more powerful than the Welsh kids who were just large.
Well his original angle was that the English lads were bigger. Until it was pointed out that was just wrong, then he slid into the more powerful side of things :D. Basically the Welsh were always winning/playing with skill, the English were just trying to be stronger.
Margin__Walker

That line of argument by JtB was a contortion Houdini would have been proud of.
Margin__Walker

Not usually one to talk kits, but this Leicester effort is pretty special

Raggs

Margin__Walker wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:03 pm Not usually one to talk kits, but this Leicester effort is pretty special

It's apparently an attempt to help broaden appeal to the Indian community. I still think it's pretty awful. I appreciate the attempt, but surely there's better designs that could do the same thing.
sockwithaticket

Raggs wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:38 am

Well his original angle was that the English lads were bigger. Until it was pointed out that was just wrong, then he slid into the more powerful side of things :D. Basically the Welsh were always winning/playing with skill, the English were just trying to be stronger.
:lol: I'd forgotten that was his starting point.
sockwithaticket

Raggs wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:05 pm
Margin__Walker wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:03 pm Not usually one to talk kits, but this Leicester effort is pretty special

It's apparently an attempt to help broaden appeal to the Indian community. I still think it's pretty awful. I appreciate the attempt, but surely there's better designs that could do the same thing.
I don't know enough to speak on how well the design might feed into Indian culture, but it looks like some random Div 4 team's 7s kit. Not great.

I'd also suspect that shirt design is one of the lesser barriers to greater Asian involvement in rugby.
notfatcat

Raggs wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:05 pm

Maybe they should introduce feather headdresses and a different type of chant.
Rhubarb & Custard

Raggs wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:38 am

A more skilful Welsh side must be going back a ways even at u20s or whatever the equivalent level was, certainly as a team, there's always the odd class act popping up on both sides but as a side I don't remember that being the case. Arguably one of the failures of English rugby has been the inability to transition the ability to move the ball into senior level rugby, but it is something we see at the lower level given that little bit of extra time. That said which side stuffed us last time out, was it Scotland who showed us up pretty much across the board? If that was Wales maybe the comment wasn't an old one?

Perhaps it'd have been better if I'd said Sale's possible lumps in the backline look just much better, and all the suggested Quins lineup looked like was a bunch of heavy lads taken as a whole to merely try and reach a similar weight
JM2K6

The only "heavy" one he mentioned was Lasike, though. Esterhuizen is a giant Saffa. Earle and Ibitoye are athletic muscular wingers. Lang is a normal bloke.
Rhubarb & Custard

So the Quins could give them a run comment didn't speak to that proposed selection having a similar heft, it was merely a comment that selection would be good enough to perform well against Sale?