The Official Filum Thread

Where goats go to escape
sockwithaticket

EnergiseR2 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:05 am
Hal Jordan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:33 pm Saw Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 3 today. A really good film and a trauma conga line. I cried.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 35011.html
Since its debut, some of its “disturbing” content has left fans questioning the film’s age rating.
It was given a 12A age rating in the UK and a PG-13 rating in the US, which permits children to see it in cinemas.
However, the movie features several scenes of supernatural animal abuse, with CGI-rendered animals given disfiguring mutations, and grotesque mechanical appendages.
:lol:

Supernatural animal abuse. That's where we have ended up. The centre must hold lads...
Sounds like a good tag line for Pet Sematary.

If Watership Down was a PG, this is likely fine. Issues are probably caused by idiot parents taking their five year olds to a 12A because they can rather than because they should. It's a rating where the onus has always been on those taking kids below the recommended age to research what the content of the film is and whether it'll be suitable for their little moppet(s). It is not the responsibility of the film to make itself suitable for under 12s.

I remember when Woman In Black came out not long after the Harry Potter films ended and parents flocked to it with their kids because Dan Radcliffe was in it, apparently oblivious to the fact that it was a spooky film based on a really scary play. Cue furore about it having too low a rating, when really it's parents abdicating their responsibility to check what they'll be showing 7 year old Samantha who are the problem.
sockwithaticket

I don't have a problem with parents letting their kids watch stuff they might not be ready for, my mum let me tape the likes of Alien and Nightmare on Elm Street off the telly long before I hit their certficate thresholds, it's the whinging and hand-wringing when it blows up in their face that's irksome and eerily reminiscent of moral panic.
Hal Jordan

EnergiseR2 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:57 am That was always the way. I remember when 10 sneaking 18 and 15's videos into the weekend video collection and then shitting myself. How my mother didn't cop movies called The Howling was dodgy I will never know

New Oppenheimer trailer dropped
This along with Dune are very pleasing
The opening of the Oppenheimer rather overwhelmed my 9 year old son in the cinema yesterday, he his his face on my shoulder.

As for Guardians, the animal abuse, "it's not your time" scene and the mask reveal combined to give my daughter a nightmare, which in turn put the shits up me when I was awakened from my slumber by a voice whispering, "Daddy" and opened my bleary eyes to see a thin creature with long black hair standing next to the bed. It was, of course, my daughter, but my awakening brain went into meltdown for a moment until I got a handle of what the hell was going on.
Uncle fester

EnergiseR2 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:57 am That was always the way. I remember when 10 sneaking 18 and 15's videos into the weekend video collection and then shitting myself. How my mother didn't cop movies called The Howling was dodgy I will never know

New Oppenheimer trailer dropped
This along with Dune are very pleasing
Hopefully a return to form for Nolan after recent disappointments.
Uncle fester

Hasn't made a really good filum in over ten years.
Dinsdale Piranha

Uncle fester wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:05 pm Hasn't made a really good filum in over ten years.
Inception has the dubious distinction of being one of the few films I have ever walked out of due to boredom.
Gumboot

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:55 pm
Uncle fester wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:05 pm Hasn't made a really good filum in over ten years.
Inception has the dubious distinction of being one of the few films I have ever walked out of due to boredom.
I couldn't finish it, either.

Memento was good, but I haven't enjoyed anything else of his since.
boere wors

Gumboot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:24 am

Not enjoyed?? His films might not be the masterpieces they are made up to be, but Insomnia, Prestige, Batman Begins, Memento are all quite enjoyable.
The Dark Knight is overhyped shit though and hasnt aged well, 40 min too long, it just drags on in the end.
The idea behind Inception and Tenet might be great, both Films become silly though with their massive shoot out scenes.
Interstellar i like, but can understand why some are annoyed by it. Dunkirk, no one cares.
Uncle fester

You'll give poor ER a stroke.

I loved Inception. DKR was pretty decent. Interstellar was a wobble, some brilliant ideas and set pieces but overall a bit disjointed. Dunkirk was just pointless really.

Tenet was his first actually bad filum though.
Dinsdale Piranha

boere wors wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:56 am

Not enjoyed?? His films might not be the masterpieces they are made up to be, but Insomnia, Prestige, Batman Begins, Memento are all quite enjoyable.
The Dark Knight is overhyped shit though and hasnt aged well, 40 min too long, it just drags on in the end.
The idea behind Inception and Tenet might be great, both Films become silly though with their massive shoot out scenes.
Interstellar i like, but can understand why some are annoyed by it. Dunkirk, no one cares.
Most of his films are too long.

Some are too long at the end, Interstellar is too long at the beginning as well. I did enjoy Interstellar though despite its complete bollox - even by Nolan standards - ending. The first two Batman films are good, the third one isn't. Dunkirk has a jumbled up timeline for no beneficial reason than I can see which is annoying. I enjoyed the Prestige although as soon as I saw the hats, I knew the ending.
Guy Smiley

EnergiseR2 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:43 am You've all had strokes. His only so so film was The Prestige amd that was because it was predictable. I suspect he learned from that
We all knew how Dunkirk was gonna end.
Oxbow

Got round to watching Cocaine Bear last night. Just as good as I expected.
sockwithaticket

I feel like it's been a really long time since I was genuinely impressed by a film. Recently I've watched things like The Northman, Dungeons and Dragons, Bullet Train and Nightmare Alley along with my usual smattering of horror films (for which I never have high expectations), but none of it's really moved the needle that much. D&D was actually the best of the lot, it's very solid and pretty fun, but the CGI heavy finale, as with so many such things, was completely sterile and no blockbuster seems to be able to finish without a certain amount of mawkish sentimentality these days.

Maybe the last one to do anything really technically impressive was Last Night In Soho. Even if the story was so-so, Edgar Wright can be relied upon for shots that make you go 'wow'.

What's the best film you've watched so far this year that isn't a drama (they bore me to tears)?
sockwithaticket

EnergiseR2 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:43 pm Non Drama is difficult but The Duke is good craic as is Enola Holmes 2
The first I might buy, althought it looks like a warm, charming, solid grey pound film rather than a best of anything, but I swear recommending the latter is revenge for all the unkind things I've said about Nolan's more recent flicks
Dinsdale Piranha

EnergiseR2 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:00 pm Fuck you Fester. Fuck you

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/christophe ... sterpiece/
Villeneuve has done some good movies but he's French so obviously an awful long way up his own arse.
sockwithaticket

Maybe it's because my expectations were rock bottom after entry number 5 in the franchise plumbed depths I never thought possible, but Scream VI was actually decent despite its silly ending.

Most horror titles I'll long given up on by the time we're past the first or second sequel, but Scream was one of the films that awakened my love for the genre, so I do feel compelled to watch each one. Just glad they've managed to stay somewhat worthwhile uses of time (aside from 5).

Conversely, I watched the Candyman remake and it was worthless. Overlong and confused as to what story it was trying to tell and genre it wanted to be with a side of heavy handed polemic against gentrification artlessly grafted onto the script. A shame as although I'd heard mixed things, the overall trend was positive and sometimes that's the best you can hope for as a horror fiend.
Uncle fester

Indy and The Flash have tanked.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/j ... dApp_Other

Guess folk are getting tired of all the rehashes.
LoveOfTheGame

Uncle fester wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:49 am Indy and The Flash have tanked.

Indy's made $160mil worldwide since it was released a week ago. Hardly tanking.
sockwithaticket

LoveOfTheGame wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:19 am
Uncle fester wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:49 am Indy and The Flash have tanked.

Indy's made $160mil worldwide since it was released a week ago. Hardly tanking.
It's a solid opening week. However, IMDB has the budget as almost $295 million.

Conventional wisdom is that films need to take double their budget to wash their face, let alone be considered a success. Indy's a long way off at present and it'll be interesting to see what happens to its take over the next few weeks.

Meanwhile Teenage Kraken is the latest animation to flop hard. $70m budget and $16m opening week. The animation studios in particular are missing what audiences want to see, this follows hot on the heels of Strange World which made $73.6m off a $120m budget, the Buzz lightyear film which made $226m from $200m and (more recently) Elemental that's taken $196m from $200m.

Yet Super Mario Brothers has gone absolute gangbusters. $1.3b from a $100m budget.
GogLais

Looking forward to the Oppenheimer film although three hours will test me.
sockwithaticket

GogLais wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:23 pm Looking forward to the Oppenheimer film although three hours will test me.
Intermissions need to come back for any film over 2 hours.
GogLais

EnergiseR2 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:51 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:09 pm
GogLais wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:23 pm Looking forward to the Oppenheimer film although three hours will test me.
My fear for Oppenheiner is it is so hyped even if it is very good it will some how feel like it's fallen short
Certainly a lot of possible angles to it that could make it messy.
Uncle fester

Hopefully a return to form for Nolan. When he's good, there's few better.
Sandstorm

GogLais wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:42 pm
EnergiseR2 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:51 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:09 pm

My fear for Oppenheiner is it is so hyped even if it is very good it will some how feel like it's fallen short
Certainly a lot of possible angles to it that could make it messy.
“I’m worried that setting off this bomb will blow up the whole world…..”

It’s ok mate. You won’t.
Uncle fester

Young lad took time out of his busy schedule to explain the concept behind Barbie to me.
dpedin

One of my favourite films of all time is on Talking Pictures (Sky 328) tonight (Sunday) at 7pm - Mr Hulot's Holiday! Worth a watch folks.

Jacques Tati was a comic genius, ahead of his time with his comedy lampooning contemporary French social norms etc. He set an example for comedians that followed and was copied by many.
Hal Jordan

Took the boy to see the new Transformers film to get him out the house. Usual nonsense plot, but he enjoyed the robots beating each other up, and the addition of robot King Kongimus Prime was the icing on the cake for him.

My observations:-

1). There was a nice clapback at the casual racial stereotypes of earlier films.
2). Watching Optimus Prime smash the shit out of baddies will never not appeal to my inner 9 year old.
3). The non-use of The Touch by Stan Bush displeased me greatly.
Uncle fester

Are we excite?

sockwithaticket

I have a general level of anipathy towards biopics on principal and this is a period of history I know particularly well, so I'll be avoiding it. If the trailer's anything to by, replete with the ever aggravating trope of solid shot cannonballs having explosive impacts, this is another Braveheart.

It is interesting that with the technology available they apparently haven't attempted to de-age Phoenix at all. Napoleon died only a few years older than Phoenix currently is.
Jock42

Going to wait til its on sky. Can't be arsed with the cinema anymore.
Uncle fester

Jock42 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:51 pm
You should go watch the good ones or they'll stop making them and drown us in a sea of comic book filums.
Last edited by Uncle fester on Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
GogLais

I hardly ever go but it’s an enjoyable change when I do so, maybe it’s the bag of picknmix that does the trick.
sockwithaticket

Uncle fester wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:17 pm
You should go watch the good ones out they'll stop making them and drown us in a sea of comic book filums.
Apparently Bob Iger's said Disney will be rowing back on the Marvel content and you'd have to think DC can't withstand many more Flash-esque flops.
Uncle fester

Good. It's been what 15 years of wall to wall marvel movies?
sockwithaticket

Pretty much. Iron Man in '08 was the one that kicked off the current MCU.

Market over-saturation was pretty much an inevitability and they've compounded the burn out effect by releasing films no one would care about even if superheros were a fresh product. In the comics Shang Chi is a minor character who pops up in other characters' stories and occasionally has a mini series of his own, ditto for Ant-man and Black Widow. The Eternals are nothing. Why anyone thought to make a film for them is beyond me, that person should probably lose their job.

I'm a Marvel comic book nerd by the standards of regular people and even I was getting bored of the films a good few before Endgame. I eventually saw that almost 2 years after it came out because I felt like I should for sake of finishing the whole main plot line rather than through any enthusiasm for the work. Spider-man: No Way Home, which is still technically Sony rather than Marvel, is the only post-Endgame film I've watched and that was because a mate of mine loves Spider-man and we've seen every one of those in the cinema together since Raimi's first. It was for the sake of tradition more than anything. If they can't retain the interest of people like me, I reckon they've little hope with normal folk.

The really interesting thing is I'm not sure Hollywood has much in the pipeline to replace them in terms of blockbuster cinema. The other big franchises at the moment are Fast and Furious, Mission Impossible and Avatar. All of which have their (supposedly) final installments announced already. It's a pretty blank landscape that could end up being filled with some novel properties. Although I'm sure Disney will continue to just churn out live action version of all their animated films and fart out unasked for sequels or prequels like Maleficent.
Uncle fester

Or and I know this is an out there suggestion, they could back some original material?
sockwithaticket

Uncle fester wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:55 pm Or and I know this is an out there suggestion, they could back some original material?
Like I said:
It's a pretty blank landscape that could end up being filled with some novel properties.

However, the film industry is inherently conservative and very one eyed when looking at failures in so far as original ideas that bomb tend to have their novelty blamed and held against them, whereas any number of excuses will be found to excuse the bombs with an established IP behind them (see Lightyear and Indiana Jones 5 for some of Disney's recent examples).

Of course the irony of the mega franchises I mentioned coming to and end is that once upon a time they spawned from an original ideas and the studios that have the nerve to greenlight can find themselves reaping rewards. They may wish to expend a good deal more effort on scripts and ideas than many seem to at the moment, though.
Uncle fester

Miramax were cünts but at least they did produce commercially successful filums that were moderately original.
Uncle fester

Connery was quite cünty. Was talking to somebody who is quite famous in modern cinema and we got onto the subject of female actresses who get a hard time for being "difficult". Connery was one of his examples of "difficult" male actors who get/got away with appalling behavior while female actresses would get their careers ended for the same. Tommy Lee Jones and Bruce Willis were 2 other examples given.
Tichtheid

Smoking Causes Coughing - Brilliant. From the same director as Deerskin - if you liked one you'll like the other.

edit, on the other hand, Asteroid City - it was mildly amusing and diverting, which is about as much as I get from most of Wes Anderson's films - I really try to like them, but hey ho.